Paying for Needed Services Paying for Needed Services

Insurance and Health Related Programs | Medication Assistance | Patient Travel and Lodging | Private Foundations | Service Organizations | Basic Living Needs

Insurance and Health Related Programs

Children's Health Insurance Program, SD Department of Social Services

The South Dakota Children's Health Insurance Program, more commonly referred to as CHIP, provides quality health care (including regular check-ups, Well-Child Care exams, dental and vision care) for children and youth.

     Who can apply?
  • Must be under the age of 19 and current resident of South Dakota.
  • Children who are uninsured or already have health insurance may be eligible for CHIP based on income and eligibility guidelines. Please click on the link above for the guidelines.

Cochlear Implant Program, SD Department of Human Services

This program is designed to provide financial assistance to an eligible individual who is uninsured or to help offset the deductible or coinsurance for an individual with an insurance plan that covers cochlear implants. The program provides funding for the cost of the implant surgery for one ear or both ears, one or two implant devices, surgeon fee, hospital fee, the initial mapping and up to a maximum of 12 follow up mappings within one-year post surgery.

     Who Can Apply?
  • Individual less than 21 years of age at the time of application
  • Is a resident of South Dakota
  • Has a severe to profound hearing loss as diagnosed by an audiologist
  • Is medically recommended for a cochlear implant by the individual's cochlear implant surgeon

     How to Apply?

Disabled Children's Program, SD Department of Social Services

The Disabled Children's Program provides South Dakota Medicaid for certain disabled children in South Dakota. The program is intended for children with disabilities who have medically fragile conditions requiring skilled nursing care in a medical facility if they were not being cared for at home.

     Who Can Apply? 
  • South Dakota child under age 19.
  • The child must be found disabled by the Social Security Administration or the Department of Social Services using disability standards from the Social Security Act.
  • The child must require medical care in the home comparable to a level of care needed in a hospital, nursing facility or intermediate care facility. A child who is medically stable, even though disabled, is not considered in need of a level of care. A child is medically stable if his or her health care and medical needs are such that he or she would not require care in a medical institution.
  • Health care services received in the home must have been ordered by a physician and could only be performed by a physician or nurse if the child were in a medical facility.
  • Cost of the child's monthly health care services at home must be the same or less than the cost of treating the child within a medical facility.
  • The child's monthly income must be less than 300 percent of the SSI Standard Benefit Amount ($2,313) and resources must be less than $2,000. (Resources include items such as checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit.) Income and resources of the parents are not considered to determine eligibility.
     How to Apply?  Visit a local office or you can apply by printing out an application and mailing, faxing, or delivering your application to a Department of Social Services local office. You may also contact your nearest Department of Social Services office or call 1.800.305.3064 to request an application be sent to you. You can also apply online.

Family Support 360 Program, SD Department of Human Services

The Statewide Family Support Program is designed to assist families who have a child with a developmental disability, age birth to 22, living in the home. A flexible pool of limited funds is available to eligible families, regardless of income, for the purchase of services or supports that may not otherwise be available (incontinence supplies, therapeutic devices, home and vehicle modifications, other needs). Once eligibility has been established, a family will receive support through the Statewide Family Support Program while waiting for the opportunity to transfer to the Family Support 360 Waiver. The Family Support 360 Waiver provides service coordination, a wide array of services, and potential access to Medicaid for the eligible child. The Family Support 360 Waiver allows the family to choose service providers and direct the services they receive.

     How to Apply for Children

  • You must complete a Statewide Family Support application including documentation of the disability - birth-to-3 evaluations, psychological-educational testing scores or other evaluations pertinent to the child's   diagnosis. 
  • You can get an application by calling the Division of Developmental Disabilities at 800-265-9684 or print one out and mail. Application
     How to Apply for Adults
     You must complete a Family Support 360 application including documentation of the disability - most recent psychological evaluation, Individual Education Plan (IEP) or any other documentation with diagnostic information. You can download the application  here, or call the Division of Developmental Disabilities:
  • Pierre              800-265-9684
  • Brookings        877-647-0024
  • Sioux Falls       888-510-9388
  • Rapid City        888-895-4502

Foundation for Health Coverage Education
Our mission is to simplify public and private health insurance eligibility information to help more people to access coverage.

Get Covered South Dakota

Get Covered South Dakota for a new state of health. Find local help to learn about affordable healthcare options. Enrollment specialists provide free assistance and connect you with resources that help you get covered. English and Spanish
800-318-2596 English, Spanish and other Languages
TTY: 855-889-4325

Information on health insurance and Marketplace Exchange plans. Enroll in an insurance plan online or by phone.

Hearing Aid Assistance Program (HAAP)
711 South Dakota Relay

HAAP will help with the cost of hearing aid(s) and associated ear mold(s) for South Dakota children, younger than 19, with progressive or permanent hearing loss who would benefit from hearing aid(s).

     Who Can Apply?
  • Must be a resident of South Dakota
  • Must not have received hearing aid(s) from HAAP or S.D. Medicaid within three years prior to date of application
  • Must be financially eligible (household income of less than 400% of federal poverty guidelines)
     How Can I Apply?
  • Complete an application
  • Can be picked up at many audiologist offices across the state
  • Can be mailed upon request by calling the number listed above

Medicaid, SD Department of Social Services
877-999-5612 (Eligibility)
800-597-1603 (Claims)

Medicaid provides health care (including regular check-ups, well-child exams, dental and vision care) for low income children and youth.

     How to apply? You can complete an on-line application or complete a paper application  and mail or drop off at your local Department of Social Services. A list of local offices can be found online at

     What you may need to apply:
  • Social Security Numbers (or documents for any eligible immigrants who need coverage)
  • Employer and income information for everyone in your family (for example, from pay stubs, W-2 forms, or wag and tax statements
  • Policy numbers for any current health insurance
  • Information about any job-related health insurance available to your family

Medical Assistance for Workers with Disabilities (MAWD)
MAWD is an incentive for people with disabilities to return to work or remain working and allows an individual to remain on, or become eligible for, health insurance through Medicaid.

     Who Can Apply? The individual must be employed, have a significant disability, and have countable resources less than $8,000.00, and have less than $694.00 in monthly unearned income such as SSDI or VA benefits

     How Do I Apply? Contact one of the following:

Supported Employment Services, Division of Rehabilitation Services

Supported employment is when an individual with the most severe disabilities is working in the community alongside individuals who do not have disabilities. Supported employment is receiving the training at the job site and having available the necessary ongoing supports to help maintain the employment.

     Who Can Apply? Any individual with the most severe disabilities who has been unable to obtain or maintain competitive employment because of their disability, and because of their disability need intensive supported employment services. Individuals should apply for services at their local DRS Office.

Premium Assistance Program, SD Department of Social Services
Provides financial assistance for private insurance premiums to Medicaid eligible children and adults on a case-by-case basis. For more information, or to apply, please contact the number listed.

South Dakota QuitLine
866-SD-QUITS (866-737-8487)

Free access to online quit tools, support from other tobacco users who are trying to quit, and other information to make your quit attempt easier. Enrollment with the SD QuitLine for telephone quit coach support is available and free medication is available with the telephone program.

South Dakota Division of Insurance

Consumer information and protection. Find agencies licensed to sell insurance in South Dakota, help for insurance issues.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for Children, Social Security Administration (multiple languages)
TTY: 800-325-0778

SSI is a Federal income supplement program designed to help children who are blind or disabled under the age of 18. In South Dakota, SSI beneficiaries also receive medical assistance (Medicaid).

The child may be considered "disabled" if they have a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, (including an emotional or learning problem) that:
  • Results marked and severe functional limitations; and
  • Can be expected to result in death; or
  • Has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months.
Blindness in their disability program means:
  • You have a central visual acuity of 20/200 or less in your better eye with use of a correcting lens; or
  • You have a visual field limitation in your better eye, such that the widest diameter of the visual field subtends an angle no greater than 20 degrees.

Medication Assistance

Cancer Care Co-Payment Assistance Foundation
Helps insured people afford co-payments for chemotherapy and targeted drugs for certain covered conditions. Must meet financial, medical and insurance criteria. Eligibility Requirements.

     What Do I Need to Apply? Once you have read the eligibility requirements, you will need to provide the following information:
  • Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Primary/mailing address
  • Social Security Number
  • Number of dependents
  • Annual Household Income
  • Health insurance information for medical and prescription coverage
  • Diagnosis (covered cancer diagnoses)
  • Product or medication(s) prescribed

     How Do I Apply? Go to their Portal Site to complete the registration.

Drug Discount Cards
Drug discount cards are not insurance. They are used to lower the cost of prescriptions and/or over the counter medications when the user does not have or chooses not to use insurance. Some discount cards can be used by multiple family members, others are for use by one specific individual.

This is a nationwide Prescription Assistance Program (PAP) sponsored by a non-profit organization to help all Americans lower their prescription drug costs. This free RX coupon card will provide you with RX  medication savings of up to 90% at more than 68,000 national and regional pharmacies across the country including: Walgreens, CVS Pharmacy (Target), Walmart Pharmacy, Rite Aid, Kroger, Kmart Pharmacy, and Safeway. You can print as many cards as you need. This free drug coupon card is pre-activated and can be used immediately.

Rx Free Card
A FREE discount prescription drug card entitling you, your family, and pets substantial savings of up to 80% from pharmacy's usual and customary prices. To get your RxFreeCard simply click here. You can print your card or save the mobile version to your phone. Participating pharmacies include: Sam's Club, Walmart Pharmacy, Albertsons, CVS Pharmacy (Target), Target Pharmacy, Walgreens, Costco, Kmart, Shopko, Medicap Pharmacy, Hy-Vee Pharmacy, The Medicine Shoppe Pharmacy, Safeway, and Pamida.

Your RX Card
You can save up to 75% off on all FDA approved drugs at 57,000 pharmacies nationwide. This free prescription drug card program is being produced to help all Americans cut their prescription drug costs. Simply download your FREE Prescription Drug Card.

NeedyMeds Drug Discount Card
The free NeedyMeds Drug Discount Card can help you save up to 80% off the price of your prescription medications. Does require a $5.00 donation.

Community Assistance Program Prescription Drug Discount Card
The Community Assistance Program (CAP) discount prescription card was established in response to the many requests for assistance for the uninsured and underinsured with their prescription needs. The CAP card saves the cardholder an average 15% on brand name medications, and 55% on generic medications. The discount prescription cards are accepted at over 80% of pharmacies in the US and its territories, including Puerto Rico. Anyone can use the CAP card, regardless of age or income. Our discount prescription card can allow someone to fill a prescription when they may normally go without.

South Dakota RX Card
As a resident of South Dakota, you and your family have access to a statewide Prescription Assistance Program (PAP). This pharmacy coupon card will provide you with RX medication savings of up to 75% at more than 68,000 pharmacies across the country including: CVS (Target), Walgreens, Walmart, Safeway, Kmart, Shopko, Albertsons and many more.

Good Days from CDF
Helps qualified patients pay their insurance co-pays for prescription medications. Assistance to help with cost of insurance premiums for qualified diagnoses. Transportation, lodging and related expenses for covered conditions. This program offers free medication to people who otherwise cannot afford their medications. Patients must meet financial and other program specific criteria to be eligible for assistance.

     Who Can Apply?
  • Patients diagnosed with a covered disease and the program must be accepting enrollments
  • Patients with a valid Social Security
  • Patients seeking assistance for a prescribed medication that is FDA approved to treat the covered diagnosis
  • Patients who have valid insurance coverage
  • Patients with income level at or below 500% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL)
     What Do I Need to Apply?
  • Patient contact and demographic information
  • Health insurance information
  • Diagnosis and medication
  • Prescribing physician's name and phone number
  • Estimate of patient's household income and household size
     How Do I Apply?

NeedyMeds, Inc.
NeedyMeds maintains current information about many sources of medication and health care cost assistance that anyone can use without registering or entering any personal data.

NORD Patient Assistance Programs
NORD administers Patient Assistance Programs to help patients obtain life-saving or life-sustaining medication they could not otherwise afford. NORD has expanded its services to offer financial assistance with insurance premiums, patient co-pay fees, diagnostic testing expenses, and travel to and consultation with disease specialists that are not covered by a patient's insurance plan.

     How to Apply?  You need to locate the program by disease. Then follow the related contact information. If you do not see a patient assistance program listed that meets your specific need, please contact them at 1-800-999-6673.  They are available Monday - Thursday from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm EST and Fridays from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm EST.

Si deseas hablar con alguien en espanol por favor llame al (844) 259-7178 para asistencia.

Patient Access Network (PAN) Foundation
Provides insured patients with co-payment assistance for treatments and medications through nearly 60 disease-specific programs.

     How to apply?
  • Over the phone at 1-866-316-7263 Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST.
  • Online through there self-service portals 24/17.
     What Do I Need to Apply?    
  • Diagnosis and medication name
  • Demographics: Name, address, phone number, and e-mail address
  • Income: Gross income applicable to the patient and all members of the patient's household
  • Insurance: Health insurance and pharmacy card(s)
  • Physician Demographics: Prescribing physician name, phone number, and facility address

Applicants are required to attest that the application information provided is complete and accurate. Reported financial information may be verified by an audit, as deemed necessary by PAN.

Partnership for Prescription Assistance (PPA)
A free and confidential program with an easy-to-use website, and mobile app available for free on Google Play and in the Apple App Store, offering a single point of access to programs that offer more than 2,500 brand-name and generic prescription medicines for free or nearly free. Includes more than 40 assistance programs that focus on the health care needs of children.

Pfizer RXPathways
866-776-3700 (English and Spanish)
A comprehensive assistance program that provides eligible patients with a range of support services, including insurance counseling, co-pay assistance, and access to medicines for free or at a savings.

     How to Apply? Medications are put into four categories.  Please click on the application category to see a list of medications, what you need to apply and application.

Application A: Primary Care Medicines
Application B: Specialty Medicines
Application C: Vaccines
Application D: Lyrica (pregabalin)

Rx Assist
Web based patient medication assistance center. Programs are offered by drug companies that offer free or low cost drugs to uninsured individuals who cannot afford their medication. Most brand name drugs are found in these programs. 

    Who Can Apply? 
Each program has its own rules, some common requirements may be:
  • Limited to U.S. citizens or legal residents
  • Have no prescription insurance coverage
  • Meet program income guidelines

Rx Hope
RxHope helps people in need obtain medications they can't afford by helping navigate and advocate through the various programs available for medication assistance.

    How to Apply? Patients can initiate the patient assistance process in a few simple steps...
  • Enter your contact information and select the medication for which you are applying.
  • Review the program guidelines and requirements that will be listed on your screen.
  • To complete your request, click on blue link that says: Apply online Now.
  • Follow the instructions and print out your request for your healthcare provider to complete.

Back To Top

Patient Travel and Lodging

Air Care Alliance
Extensive listing of free air transport services provided by volunteer pilots and dozens of charitable aviation groups. If you are seeking free air transportation or aviation services you can send an inquiry to each appropriate organization in one easy step by providing us the necessary information about your transportation needs.

Angel Wheels to Healing
Angel Wheels to Healing is a nonprofit corporation dedicated to providing non-emergency long-distance ground transportation assistance to patients in need, including gas cards to off-set fuel costs. Angel Wheels utilizes motor coaches and their volunteer drivers as well as commercial transportation. Complete Request Assistance form.

Angel Flight
Angel Flight arranges free air transportation to medical treatment for individuals and organizations when financial need or time-critical but non-emergency medical situations arise.

Requesting an Angle Flight:
•    Verify that the patient's home or treating facility are located in Oklahoma or surrounding states. If you are seeking a flight outside our service region, please check our locator page to locate a Public Benefit Flying Organization in your area.
•    Review the Patient Guidelines to verify qualifications.
•    Please complete the Online Flight Request.

The Angel Flight staff will review your request and follow up with you to complete any additional requirements.

Corporate Angel Network

Corporate Angel Network helps cancer patients access treatment for their specific type of cancer by arranging free travel using empty seats on corporate jets. Eligibility to participate in our program is open to all cancer patients, bone marrow donors, and bone marrow recipients who are ambulatory and not in need of medical support while traveling. Eligibility is not based on financial need, and patients may travel as often as necessary. Patients must be ambulatory and not in need of medical support while traveling. Please fill out the Client Registration form.

Joe's House
877-563-7468 (patients only)
Joe's House helps cancer patients and their families find a place to stay when traveling away from home for medical treatment.

Healthcare Hospitality Network
Healthcare Hospitality Network is a nationwide professional association of nearly 200 unique, nonprofit organizations that provide lodging and support services to patients, families and their loved ones who are receiving medical treatment far from their home communities.

Mercy Medical
National charitable medical transportation system that includes air and ground transportation.

     How to apply:
National Patient Travel Center
Provides information about all forms of charitable, long-distance medical air transportation and provides referrals to all appropriate sources of help available in the national charitable medical air transportation network.

    How to Apply? Fill out a request for charitable transportation assistance.

Ronald McDonald House
Sioux Falls

The Ronald McDonald House program provides a "home-away-from-home" for families so they can stay close by their hospitalized child at little or no cost. This program is world-wide. The generosity of volunteers and donors make it all possible. In return, families either stay at no cost or are asked to make a donation of up to $25 per day, depending on the House. The RMHC Global Policy is that families are never turned away; it it's not possible to pay, the fee is waived.
Local chapters/houses.

Private Foundations

Avera McKennan Foundation
Sioux Falls

Families using any Avera service may apply for assistance through the statewide Avera Foundation which supports needed services, provides life-saving medications, lodging to be near loved ones, transportation and many needed educational programs and materials. The cases are assessed on a case to case basis. It is a one-time approval. Request information from an Avera McKennan Social Worker.

Children's Miracle Network (CMN)

Sioux Falls

Direct Child Family Assistance through Sanford Children's Hospital

Rapid City

Rapid City Regional Hospital

Families may apply for assistance through CMN. Requests must be based on meaningful medical services or supports and meet other criteria. Consideration is on a case by case basis.

First Hand Foundation
First Hand accepts applications from anywhere in the world. If you or someone you know would like to apply for assistance on behalf of a child, please review the guidelines below. If you child's case meets all the criteria, we are happy to consider your application.

     Who Can Apply?
  • Children 18 years of age or younger (a person 19-21 may be considered if they are in a child-like mental state).
  • Children under the care of a pediatrician.
  • The case must involve a child with a specific health care need.
  • The request must be clinically relevant to the health of the child.
  • There must be no existing insurance coverage for the requested expenses.
  • One request per year, per child for a maximum of three times in a child's lifetime.
          How to Apply? You need to download and complete the application. The application will list all supporting documentation that is needed to be submitted, depending on what funding is being requested. For additional information on covered expenses and financial guidelines, please visit the website listed above.

Golden Halo Foundation
GHF is a nonprofit organization that helps children with long-term disabilities and their families by providing financial assistance for medical treatment, diagnostic evaluations, durable medical equipment, expenses related to receiving medical care such as travel, and other expenses that will improve a child's life.

     Who can apply? Families of children through the age of 17 who have a long-term disability and are residents of SD, MN, NE, CO or WY.

Documents Needed:
  • Completed application form.
  • Letter(s) from physician and/or PT, OT or SLP that includes recommendation for request and benefits of the request for the child.
  • Official receipts/invoice/estimate on procedure or equipment requested, if discount is available, and name and address of third party who will receive payment.
  • Letter of denial from insurance or Medicaid, if applicable.
  • Completed HIPAA Authorization Form.
  • Child's photo.
  • Completed Photo Consent Form.

HealthWell Foundation Grants (English and Spanish)
The HealthWell Foundation is committed to addressing the needs of individuals with insurance who cannot afford their co-payments, coinsurance, and premiums for important medical treatments. Their vision is to ensure that no patient goes without health care because they cannot afford it.

Assistance Qualifications:
  • You are being treated for a disease that we currently cover.
  • You have insurance and it covers your medication. You must have some form of health insurance that covers part of the cost of your treatment.
  • Your income falls within our guidelines.
  • You are receiving treatment in the United States.
  • If you are the person with the diagnosis or a family member, parent, guardian, friend, or power of attorney of the patient then start the application process.
  • If you are a health care provider, staff from a provider's office, a pharmacy representative, or social worker, you can apply on behalf of your patient using our Provider Portal or Pharmacy Portal.
888-396-EYES (3937)
American Optometric Association optometrist provide a comprehensive eye and vision assessments for infants within the first year of life regardless of a family's income or access to insurance coverage. Assessments at six to twelve months of age can determine healthy development of vision. Click on Dr. Locator to find local care online or call.

Make-a-Wish Foundation of South Dakota
Sioux Falls

Black Hills

Make-a-Wish grants wishes for children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy.

     Who Is Eligible? A child with a life-threatening medical condition who has reached the age of 2 ½ and is younger than 18 at the time of referral is potentially eligible for a wish.

     Who Can Refer a Child? Out of respect for the privacy of the children and families we serve, children who may be eligible to receive a wish can be referred by one of four sources:
  • Medical professionals (typically a doctor, nurse, social worker or child-life specialist).
  • Parents/legal guardians of the potential wish kid.
  • Potential wish kids.
  • Family members with detailed knowledge of the child's current medical condition.
They will only contact you after a wish referral has been submitted by an approved source.

If you are not eligible to refer a child, please share the referral inquiry form with the family or ask them to visit our website.

Smile for a Lifetime
Rapid City

Smile for a Lifetime Foundation provides orthodontic care (free braces) to individuals, ages 11-18 years of age, who may need financial assistance. Providers located throughout United States.

Sunshyne Smiles Orthodontic Assistance Program, South Dakota Dental Foundation

The Sunshyne Smiles Program is a statewide program that helps provide orthodontic treatment to deserving South Dakota children who may not otherwise receive care.

  • Children are accepted to the program through a referral from a general dentist.
  • Eligibility is determined based on the severity of the child's orthodontic needs and their family's financial situation.
  • Participating families are to contribute $25 per month to the program for their child's orthodontic treatments of the course of 40 months.
  • Parent/guardian is to complete an application.

The HIKE Fund, Inc.
The Hearing-Impaired Kids Endowment (HIKE) Fund provides hearing losses between the ages of newborn and twenty years whose parents are unable to meet this special need financially.

     How to Apply? Download application and refer to instructions.

     Documentation Needed:
  • A letter from the parent(s) or guardian(s) explaining the financial need.
  • Statement of Income and Expenses.
  • A copy of last year's Federal Income Tax Return 1040 pages 1 & 2 and the most recent pay stub(s) from each wage earner (parents and/or guardians only).
  • A recent (not more than twelve (12) months old) audiogram AND quote from a licensed and/or certified audiologist and/or physician.
  • Gross earned income cannot exceed $100,000.
  • An itemized cost quotation from the supplier which should include cost of hearing aid(s) or device(s), cost of ear mold(s), professional fees (evaluation, fitting/dispensing fee, follow up visits, repairs/warranty per year, batteries, and insurance - loss or damage). Please give your supplier the portion of this application entitled, "Information for Supplier".

United Healthcare Children's Foundation
United Healthcare Children's Foundation provides grants of up to $5,000 annually per child ($10,000) lifetime max per child to help pay for medical services and equipment, such as physical, occupational and speech therapies, counseling services, surgeries, prescription medications, wheelchairs, orthotics, eye glasses and hearing aids.

     Who Can Apply?
  • The applicant must be 16 years old or younger and live in the United States and receive and pay for care/items in the United States.
  • The applicant must be covered by a commercial health insurance plan and benefit limits are either exceeded, no coverage is available, and/or the costs are a serious financial burden on the family.
  • If grant is approved, services must be provided by a trained and licensed professional.
  • Financial need of the child's family will be evaluated and documented through information provided on the application and by submission of a photocopy of the most recently filed Federal tax return.
  • Other financial resources to meet health care need are not available.
  • The amount awarded to an individual within a 12-month period is limited to either $5,000 or 85% of the fund balance, whichever amount is less.  Lifetime maximum of $10,000.
  • Application must be submitted prior to the child's 17th birthday.
  • The health care professional is to be paid directly, exceptions can be made to reimburse the family if adequate documentation is submitted showing the health care professional has been paid.
  • Applications are to be reviewed by a health care professional appointed by the Foundation.
  • Applicants who are not approved by the Regional Board must wait a period of twelve months before re-applying, unless the medical condition and requested items have significantly changed from the original request.
  • The child must live with you 51% or more and be listed as a dependent on your most recently filed IRS 1040.

You will be required to attach certain documentation to prior submitting your application. It is recommended that you gather these documents and have them ready to submit prior to beginning the online application process.

Once you have all the required documentation, you are ready to complete the application.

VISION USA provides basic eye health and vision care services free of charge to uninsured, low-income children and adults. Eyewear may be provided at no cost.

     Who Can Apply?
  • Have no private or government insurance, including Medicare or Medicaid.
  • Have income below the established level based on household size - Income Level Chart
  • Have not had an eye exam within the past 24 months.
  • Must be a US citizen or legal resident with a social security or legal resident number.
  • Have not received a doctor referral through the VISION USA program in the last two years.
    How to Apply?
  • Obtain a paper application and complete the front side.
  • Locate a Social Service Agency - or work with a charitable organization, social worker, case worker, community health agency in your community.
  • Contact the social service agency and explain that you are needing their assistance applying for vision care services through VISION USA. Detailed instructions for your social service agent are located on the back of application.
  • Work with your social service agent to verify your eligibility and submit application to VISION USA.

Kiwanis International
Minnesota-Dakota District Kiwanis Office (Multilingual)
218-589-7581 (District Office)
Kiwanis is a global organization of member-volunteers who are dedicated to changing the world, one child and one community at a time. Click on Club Listing (left menu tab) to find your local Kiwanis Clubs in South Dakota.

Lions Club International (Multilingual)
The Lions Club is an international service organization that focuses on programs and projects that serve the blind or visually impaired or aim to eliminate preventable and reversible blindness. They also participate in other health programs and projects such as hearing and diabetes. Click on Club Locator to find a local club.

Optimist International
Optimist Clubs are dedicated to "bringing out the best in kids" and do their part through community service programs. Optimist have the flexibility to serve the youth of their area as they determine what is needed. Click on Club Locator to find a local club.

Realtors for Kids

Assists children in the Norther Hills communities that are victims of abuse, neglect or abandonment; have either a temporary or ongoing medical condition that requires money beyond what the child's primary caregivers can provide; wish to participate in school and community programs and do not have the funds to do so. A referral request from may be initiated by a school counselor, a counselor for the Department of Social Services, a CASA volunteer, or a member of the REALTOR® Association.

Realtors for Kids
Sioux Falls

RFK is committed to helping children throughout the Sioux Empire (all communities in Minnehaha, Lincoln, Lake, McCook, and Turner Counties) by providing financial support for fees associated with school and community activities, as well as other costs associated with improving their quality of life. RFK will help with travel expenses of getting a child to and from medical treatment. RFK does not accept requests directly from the parents of the child needing assistance. Requests will be accepted from referral agencies such as medical clinics, schools, social services, CASA or other child-related agencies, our members, and community members who know of a child in need. Referral agency on-line application. Referral agency paper application.

Rotary International
Rotary's main objective is service: in the community, in the workplace, and throughout the world. Click on Club Finder to find a local club.

Sertoma' s primary focus is on assisting people with hearing health issues and educating the public on the issues surrounding hearing health. Sertoma also sponsors community projects to assist youth and to benefit a variety of other local community needs, as identified by the individual clubs. Click on Find a Club to find a local club.

Basic Living Needs

Child Safety Car Seat Distribution Program

Provides car seats and booster seats to income eligible families across South Dakota. Specialized car seats for children with special health care needs provided with no family income guidelines. Specialized seats may also be available for short-term loan at no cost.

Region 1 - West, Early Childhood Connections, Rapid City
605-342-6464 or 888-999-7759

Region 2 - Central, Early Childhood Training Network, Pierre
605-773-4755 or 866-206-8206

Region 3 - North, Sanford Children's CHILD Services, Aberdeen
605-262-8505 or 800-982-6404

Region 4 - Northeast, Family Resource Network, Brookings
605-688-5730 or 800-354-8238

Region 5 - Southeast, Sanford Children's CHILD Services, Sioux Falls
605-333-0698 or 800-235-5923, Ext. 4

Community Action Partnerships
Community Action Agencies help low-income people. CAAs help with Head Start programs, home weatherization, job training, housing, housing repair/rehab, food bank, energy assistance, senior services, some transportation and many other programs.

Inter-Lakes Community Action Partnership (ICAP)

Serving Minnehaha, Grant, Deuel, Codington, Hamlin, Clark, Kingsbury, Brookings, Miner, Lake, Moody, McCook counties.

          Northeast SD Community Action Program


          Serving Beadle, Brown, Day, Edmunds, Faulk, Hand, Marshall, McPherson, Spink, Roberts, Campbell, Walworth, Potter,   
          Hyde, Sully, Hughes, Stanley counties.

Rural Office of Community Services, Inc.
Lake Andes

Serving Aurora, Bon Homme, Brule, Charles Mix, Clay, Davison, Douglas, Gregory, Hanson, Hutchinson, Jerauld, Lincoln, Sanborn, Turner, Union, Yankton counties.

          Western SD Community Action, Inc.
Rapid City

Serving Bennett, Butte, Custer, Fall River, Jackson, Harding, Lawrence, Meade, Pennington, Dewey, Haakon, Ziebach, Corson, Stanley counties.

          Economic Assistance Programs, SD Department of Social Services

Economic Assistance programs help low income individuals, families, children, pregnant women, people with disabilities and the elderly by providing medical, nutritional, financial, and case management services. Apply at your local office of Department of Social Services, Division of Economic Assistance.

Governors House Program
The Governors House Program was created to provide reasonable sized, affordable homes to income qualified individuals and families which include elderly and persons with disabilities.

     Who Can Apply:
  • Household income cannot exceed $48,300 for couples or individuals and $55,200 for families of three or more. (Effective May 1, 2017)
  • For families and individuals under the age of 62, net worth must be less than $90,000 and less than $70,000 in liquid assets. For families and individuals age 62 and older, net worth must be less than $175,000 and less than $100,000 in liquid assets.
  • The house must be used as the homebuyer's only residence.
  • The house must be placed within South Dakota and be owned by the individual(s) living in the home.

Governor's House Program Brochure
Click here if you are interested in purchasing a Governor's House.

DakotaLink Loan Program

The DakotaLink Assistive Technology Loan Fund offers low-interest, extended term loans to enable individuals with disabilities in South Dakota a financing option specifically designed to purchase assistive technology equipment and devices, home access improvements or vehicle access modifications.

Please Provide with the application:
  • Documentation for everyone on the loan that shows monthly or annual income
  • Documentation that explains the disability for the person needing the assistive technology
  • A document listing what you are buying, the cost, and the place you will buy it
  • A copy of a state identification card or driver's license for everyone on the loan

Heating Assistance, SD Department of Social Services
LIEAP helps low-income South Dakota households to help them pay for their home heating bills. Priority is given to persons who are elderly or disabled and funds are distributed on a first-come basis. Weatherization Assistance Program helps low-income people pay for home insulation and other energy-saving improvements to help lower their heating bills.

Please Provide:
•    One copy of your current heating bill and electric statement.
•    Proof of the past three full months of gross income for all people in the home.
•    If self-employed, a complete copy of the most recent tax return.
•    Proof of child support paid in the past three full months if not paid through the state of South Dakota.

Low Income Assistance Application

Helpline Basic Needs Resource Directories
The Helpline Basic Needs Resource Directory lists agencies/programs that provide direct basic need services such as food, shelter, clothing, medical care, financial assistance and employment services.

Lifeline and Link-Up Telephone Assistance, Public Utilities Commission
Lifeline helps consumers who already have telephone service save on their monthly phone bill. This discount applies to basic local telephone service on one line per household. Residents of tribal lands may apply for Enhanced Lifeline and Link-Up that offer a different discount structure. All programs have eligibility requirements. Lifeline and Link-Up are ongoing programs and applications are accepted year-round.

     How to Apply? Contact your telephone company for the Lifeline Assistance Application. Complete the application and then return it to your telephone company. A company representative will contact you to verify your eligibility and complete the application process. You will be required to provide documentation to prove eligibility.

Residents of tribal lands, see Tribal Lifeline and Tribal Link Up.

Repair Affair, Home Builders Association of the Sioux Empire
Sioux Falls

Annual program with volunteers doing repairs one day per year. Free home improvements are done to meet accessibility needs (wheelchair ramps, hand rails for steps, grab bars in bathrooms, replace turn knobs of doors/faucets with push/pull levers) for people 65+ or people permanently disabled living in their own/family home. Must meet income guidelines and live in Minnehaha, McCook, Turner or Lincoln counties.

Application process begins January 2018 for June 2018.  You can join the application mailing list by emailing or calling 605-361-8322 to be added to the list.

     Who Can Apply?
  • Must own the home and reside in it
  • No mobile homes will be accepted
  • Must be either 65 yrs. old or older OR have a permanent disability
  • Must meet certain income guidelines
  • Must provide proof of household income
  • All repairs must be accessibility related

Spare Key
Provides housing grants during the crisis period of a child's illness or injury helping parents to remain part of the child's care team in the hospital by making house payment on family's behalf. Families who reside in South Dakota, Minnesota, North Dakota and Wisconsin eligible. Mortgage Assistance Guidelines. You can print an application and either fax it to Spare Key at 952-406-8874 or email to You can also apply online.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Social Security Administration (multiple languages)
SSI is a Federal income supplement program designed to help meet basic needs of low income individuals who are aged, blind or disabled.

By taking 5 to 10 minutes to answer a few questions, you can find out if you are eligible for SSI or other benefits by using the Benefit Eligibility Screening Tool.

SSI Application Process and Application Rights

Women, Infants and Children (WIC), SD Dept. of Health
WIC is a nutrition program for eligible women, infants and children. Click here to see if you meet certain guidelines.  If it's time to set up your appointment to register for participation in SD WIC, check out the Locations page to find contact information for the clinic nearest you.  If you can't find the clinic information, contact the central office at 605-773-3361 or 1-800-738-2301.
Back To Top

Contact UsContact Us

The contents of this website were developed under grants from the U.S. Department of Education Project Grant H328M140021; Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Grant H84MC07994, Family to Family Health Information Center, $96,750 and approximately 5% financed with non-governmental resources. The contents should not be construed as the official position or policy of, nor should any endorsements be inferred by US Department of Education, HRSA, HHS or the Federal Government.