Families with children or youth with special health needs or disabilities interact with multiple systems and providers. The Communication Log is a convenient and portable resource to help families capture important information, prepare for meetings, or support family-school communication. Suggested uses include, but are not limited to:
Parent Record Keeping
- Record contacts with medical or service providers, program staff, schools, insurance, etc. Include date, name of person you spoke with, contact information, and a brief summary of the conversation.
- Write down questions or comments in advance of meetings, to help you stay focused on what you want to accomplish.
Parent - School Communication
- Determine what information should be shared between home and school to support the student. Positive information should be shared as well as concerns.
- Examples might include communicating about behaviors, homework assignments, current or upcoming events at school or home that may impact the student's behavior or attendance, and student medical or other appointments.
- Include use of the Communication Log in your child's IEP or 504 Plan.
Please contact SDPC at 800-640-4553 or email@example.com if you would like to receive the Communication Log or any of our other valuable resources.